Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Surviving Hitler's Germany

After a long struggle with a mentally-crippling illness, my mother died yesterday. Due to her illness and other psychological trauma, we were never able to get as close as I would have liked. She was just not capable. But as a direct result of her passing, I had reached out to my aunts, her sisters, and a world of understanding enveloped me.


Shortly after World War II, at the age of eighteen, my mother left Germany with her mother and three sisters. As a child, I knew my mother was German, but what I never knew was how much the trauma of living in Hitler's Germany had affected her and her family.


In 1933, Hitler began his reign of terror in Germany. That same year both the Gestapo and the Hitler Youth Organization were formed. From 1933 until 1945, my mother's family, like most families in Germany, watched their beloved country change from one of freedom to one of oppression. Our American history books teach us that Germany was so much better off under Hitler and, at first, they were. What the history books don't acknowledge is the psychological trauma...and of course, as Hitler built up his army and prepared for military aggression, the lack of food for the German populace, the long lines in local shops and the rations began.

I remember when I was a child my mother told me that she once ate worms during the war, she was so hungry. She said they weren't so bad if you add chocolate. Though she was probably joking, as a teenager with a growing body, I can only imagine her reality.

Per my discussion with one of my aunts, I was enlightened to a world where six people, a family, struggled not only to survive but because of Hitler's indoctrination of German youth, found it hard to communicate. Each of the six members of their family seemed to live in different worlds coping with their individual reality the best they could. 

My aunt also told me of a family where the son had been belligerent with his father in regards to Hitler. In the heat of the moment, the mother had slapped her son. This could have gone so badly for them, but fortunately the son realized his lack of respect and apologized to his father. When my aunt told me that story, I could only imagine the minutes of absolute terror in the hearts of his parents as they awaited their son's reaction.

It has been seventy years since the end of World War II and Hitler's Reich in Germany, but the survivors of his world are still suffering with post traumatic stress. My mother seldom talked about her life in Germany. When she did it was mostly about her childhood years before the war. With her mental illness, I can only imagine the continued post traumatic stress she must have faced daily even as her body slowly shut down over the weekend.

6 comments:

  1. Hugs and my prayers go out to you, Ingrid.

    Do you know of any books written by Germans recounting what they experienced under Hitler's rule? Like many people, I have read and heard much of the tribulations of the Jews, Poles, Londoners, and others during those bleak years, but I've not read anything by a German - and I would like to.

    For a while, I had an online friend who was a young German lady (early 20s) who had never lived outside of Germany. One time, while we were chatting online, the conversation took a turn that opened up a way for me to ask her if they were taught about the Holocaust and the War in German schools. She told me they were taught a great deal about it and that most Germans never want anything like that to ever happen again. She told me that only recently have Germans been able to feel less like outcasts in the world because of how much damage the Nazi regime inflicted on so many people in so many countries.

    Even when I was in junior high school and first really started learning the details of the WWII, I never blamed the German people as a whole. I knew that would be no more correct than the Nazi hatred of Jewish people and others. I always figured that a large number of Germans were as afraid as everyone else.

    Thank you so much for sharing some of your relatives' stories. And again, My sympathy and prayers are sent out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pearl, thank you so much for kind and wonderful words and support. They mean so much to me. I forwarded your request to one of my aunts. I'll let you know her response. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pearl, my aunt specifically mentioned, Stones in the River by Ursula Hegi. If you do a search in Google on "books on WWII written by Germans." There are others, but you have to dig through the list, most are information about the war.

    Thanks again for reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ingrid! I'll check into that book and do a search. Hugs!

      Delete
  4. Words cannot adequately express how sincerely sorry I am for the damaged relationship you had with your mother, and for your loss of her. My mother-in-law, raised in an orphanage during your mother's era, was also a broken human being. Your words here resonate deeply with me. Thank you for sharing these poignant glimpses. It is a fine tribute to her. I am lifting prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Flamingo, and your prayers. They mean so much to me. And my heart goes out to you and your family. Its so very hard to watch our parents suffer. I pray all of your memories of her are of happier times.

      Delete

To All of You Who Are Motherly!

Happy Mother's Day to all of you who are motherly! Mother's Day has always been an enigma to me and every year I am puzzled as to...